•Segment and people: For this assignment I picked a segment of the population who own their own home. They are 40-65. My interviewees were people who pay for their electricity bills and are interested in being ecofriendly. My first interviewee was a man who owns the house where he lives with his family. My second interviewee was a single mom who lives in her house with her children; while the third interview was a man who lives on his own and works from home.
•Need awareness: Two of my interviewees have the same needs, that is to save money and at the same time to save energy. My first and second interviewees told me their need to save money occurs the most when they have to pay for their electricity bills. On the other hand, the third interviewee has the need to stay focused and productive for long periods of time. This need occurs the most when his eyes feel tired after working for hours usually later at night due to his more variable schedule.
•Information search: When their need occurs, the people I interviewed talk to their families, friends or colleagues in search of advice. My second interviewee told me how she often talks to her sister about how to save money not only on the electricity bill, but in general. Also, they sometimes carry on using Google for research to find out easy tricks to save money and energy. The third interviewee also looks for tips that could help his eyes not feel tired anymore, and has searched for stimulants.
•What I learned: From my interviews I learned that getting the right information framed in the right way is essential. The people I interviewed told me they were aware they would have saved money and energy with led lights, but they weren't sure if it was actually convenient and if the difference from what they were paying and saving now was substantial. Also, the third interviewee told me he didn't know LED lights promote wakefulness more than CFL lights, and didn't know the latter can actually be dangerous for the human body. So, after I provided them with the right information, they seemed much more interested in being informed and potentially substituting their lights.
•Conclusion: I think the people included in my segment have thought at least once about the possibility of changing their lights into led lights and that they are more or less aware it would be beneficial for them. Therefore, I believe the demand for led lights in the segment I picked would be high if people were aware of the actual and real benefits they could get by substituting their lights. In addition to this, since information is essential, I think that by word of mouth, after experiencing the benefits of led lights, the demand for this good would grow higher.
Cesar,
ReplyDeleteI am very interested in your idea, as I am a home-owner myself. I guess I never really considered changing to LED lights because honestly, I am pretty uneducated on lights in general. I am always looking for ways to cut my electricity bill and never heard as LED lights as an alternative. I think that if you did a controlled test on how much money a homeowner could actually save and how much it would cost to change the lights, you could get a a lot of prospective buyers. Great job and thanks for the info!