Friday, July 12, 2019

20A – Growing Your Social Capital

Domain Expert:
Who they are, what their background is:
Sam, from Graybar Electric Supply https://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb (352) 224-4150

How this person is a “domain expert”:
He is an account manager for the Gaineville branch of the company Graybar Electric Supply, specialized in selling lighting and electrical equipment. He has worked there for 2 years and amassed a lot of experience dealing with the sale of lighting.

How I found and contacted this person:
It took a while to find them. I googled local businesses that specialize in lighting and gave them phone calls. Eventually this one answered and I talked to the secretary explaining what I was trying to do and they passed me to another employee and then to Sam.

Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation:
I explained to him my idea napkin, that is my product ideas and my value added proposition and how I would market the service. Then I asked him various questions detailing this experience.

How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
He told me about the added competition placed on them by the market, but that they are able to continue attracting business by being efficient wholesalers and adding value through their intricate knowledge and real world examples. Lighting is a complicated industry and even though the information is out there customers often don't have the right understanding they would need to buy the most efficient product.

Market Expert:
Who they are, what their background is:
Sarah is a sales representative for Graybar Electric Supply.

How this person is a “market expert”:
It's a little bit cheating but I couldn't find other people targeting the same market. She targets the more commercial side of sales but they do residential sales as well.

How I found and contacted this person:
From the same call I made to Graybar Electric Supply they passed me to her.

Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation:
I detailed to her what I was doing for my school assignment and talked to her about my idea napkin then asked her about how she acquires sales and I had her walk me through the sales process.

How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
I started building relationships with multiple people in the organization and had an experienced sale representative telling me about how she acquires sales.


Industry Supplier:
Who they are, what their background is:
Xiu Xing is a sales representative.

How this person is a “industry supplier”:
She works as a sales presentative for a large indsutrial chineses manufacture/supplier of led lights and manages large trancsactions happening throught the company, amassing knowledge from working on that.

How I found and contacted this person:
I went on Alibaba and searched for LED light manufacturers and began message them until a representative responded and we talked on WeChat.

Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation:
I explained to them my situation and class and described both my idea napkin and pitch. Then I told her about the specific lighting items I would need and asked her questions about their manufacture price max quantities suppliable and minimum order quantities, the shipping costs involved, dealing with customs etc.

How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
Before this exchange I hadn't really thought about the intricacies of buying items in bulk and in the usual shipping options. I had a little bit of knowledge from my accounting class of free on board shipping point and free on board destination point and liability and how important that is. But this encounter really made me think about the various ways I could keep my costs and liability low when purchasing product.

Finally: Reflect. This experience requires you to do a little 'targeted networking.' How will this experience shape how you participate in any future networking events? Did this experience differ from your networking experiences in the past? How?


I think it opened my eyes a lot to how so many industry experts are willing to communicate with you and even help and share their information with you. It would definitely encourage me to approach more people in future networking events. While the previous networking events I have attended were already pre-established with connections to people, for this one I had to find and communicate with my own experts and that presented its own challenges, especially dealing with non responses or even a couple rejections from business I contacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment